This is a hands-on, intensive course in PCNL. It is geared for the practicing Urologist who wants to gain comfort with performing percutaneous stone removal, obtaining his/her own percutaneous access using both fluoroscopy and ultrasound, and familiarity with current instrumentation including flexible ureteroscopy. The course will include didactic lectures, multiple different simulators, and live patient experience with ultrasound imaging.
After attending this course, participants should be able to:
- Obtain percutaneous access to the kidney using both fluoroscopy and sonography.
- Review instrumentation integral to optimizing PCNL success (including tract dilation, graspers, baskets, flexible nephroscopy).
- Demonstrate the optimal methods for post-operative drainage and management of the percutaneous tract.
- Recognize and manage complications of PCNL.
- Perform and review ultrasound imaging.
- Apply knowledge gained in this course to develop a practice which is comfortable in offering PCNL to its patients as an integral surgical procedure in the treatment of stone disease.
- Gain familiarity with flexible ureteroscopy and instrumentation, and learn how to utilize it in combination with PCNL to enhance access and stone treatment success.